Our "Golden Route" tour will take you further to two cities besides Lhasa: the “Heroic Town” Gyantse and Tibet’s second largest city Shigatse. Explore the unique beauty of the tranquil turquoise waters of Yamdrok Lake. You’ll also have a chance to visit Tashilumpu, the home of the Panchen Lama.
Day 1 Arrive in Lhasa
Upon your arrival, our local guide will meet you and transfer you to old town Lhasa city. From airport to Lhasa city is 68km, around one hour and half drive will take you to the holy city Lhasa; from the train station it is only 15km and takes 20 minutes by drive. On the way, you can enjoy the heart-beating highland view along the Yarlong Tsangpo River (the longest river in Tibet). The rest time is free for relax, drink more water for a better high plateau acclimatization.
Day 2 Tour of Lhasa
The first day of sightseeing starts from Lhasa's cardinal landmark-Potala Palace, a structure of massive portions. Its towering image already appearing on various occasions, but your first sight of the Potala will still be an awe-inspiring moment. It takes at least a good 2-hour to visit those rooms, halls and chapels. In the afternoon, we will drop a visit of the Jokhang Temple, the spiritual center of Tibet. Everyday, pilgrims from every corner of Tibet trek a long distance to the temple. The temple is the product of Han, Tibetan and Nepalese architectural techniques. Then we will visit Barkhor, the oldest street in a very traditional city in Tibet.
Day 3 Tour of Lhasa
This day's sightseeing begins with these white monastic buildings piled up on the hillside. Walking up to the hill is a pleasant thing, an easy break from the solemn ambience inside the halls and chapels. At the plat roof of hillside, you can have very good views of the whole Lhasa city and the distant mountains. Drepung is one of Lhasa's two great Gelugpa monasteries, Later after lunch, witness the Buddhist doctrines debating session at Sera Monastery. With golden roofs and whitewashed walls, this fifteenth-century monastery is one of the six great Gelukpa sect academies in Tibet.
Day 4 Lhasa / Gyantse [3980m] / Shigatse [3840m], 360km, 6-7hrs drive
In the morning drive to Gyantse along the Kyichu River. On the Kamba La (4796 m) have a fantastic view of the holy Lake Yamdrok (4441 m), one of the four holy lakes in Tibet and the largest habitat of waterfowls in south Tibet. Then continue to Gyantse, you can enjoy Ningjinkangsang Snow Mountain and Karola Glacier from a distance on the way as well. Upon arrival in Gyantse, pay a visit to Palkhor Monastery and Kumbum Stupa, which is famous for its very unique architecture, sculpture, and mural painting art.
Day 5 Shigatse / Lhasa 270km, 5hrs drive
Tashilumpo Monastery, Shigatse Today, you’ll visit Thashilunpo Monastery, the throne of Panchen Lama. Afternoon, drive back to Lhasa along Yarlong Tsangpo River via south path with a slightly different route. So, sit back and enjoy another full day of breathless mountains under an endless Himalayan sky. After you arrive at Lhasa, you would have plenty of time on your own to explore what you have missed last time, free walk on the old town street, try unique Tibetan food & tea, etc. Overnight in Lhasa.
Day 6 Tour Ends
Meet your guide in the hotel lobby and take a last memorable look at the holy city before being transported to the airport/train station.
Includes & Excludes
- What's included in this price?
- Transport: Private minivan or minibus with driver
- Free Lhasa airport / train pick-up and drop-off
- Twin-sharing / double room accommodation in Tibet
- Local English-speaking Tibetan guide
- All entrance fees of sightseeing places mentioned in itinerary
- All necessary Tibet permits
- Government tax
- What's excluded in this price?
- Chinese Visa fee
- Tips for the guide and driver
- Flight or train tickets into and out of Lhasa
- Meals not included in the itinerary: Lunch and Dinner
- Personal expenses such as laundry, drinks, fax, telephone calls, etc
※What is a Private Tour?
Why Choose Us
Each of our tours is intensively designed inclusive of the very best landmarks and attractions. All our tour groups max out at 12 people, so that every tourist’s needs can be considerably catered for. More reasons for why taking a Tibet tour with us? Check out below.
- Our Strengths
- Unbeatable Price & Great Service
- 100% Tibet Permit Guarantee
- English-speaking Tibetan Guide
- No Shopping & No Hidden Cost
- Free Cancellation
- Recommended on Tripadvisor
- Our Guest Reviews
Thank you for all your help organising our trip to Tibet.
We had a fantastic time, and thought that Dondrup was a superb guide – very knowledgeable and friendly, while Dawa was a great driver and always very helpful. Thank you again – we will be recommending you to our friends.
Recommend other popular Tibet tours
- North Everest Base Camp Tour in 8 Days Lhasa / Gyantse / Shigatse / EBC Most popular Everest Base Camp adventure tour begins in Lhasa with its historic architectural monuments and monasteries. This tour includes all of the best sights, sounds, and smells Tibet has to offer. The expedition to the great Mt. Everest, one of earth’s most remote corners, could also give you a chance to view the sunrise and sunset there. You can do nothing but feel marvel for the nature’s masterpiece. 8 Daysfrom: $800
- Overland Tour from Lhasa to Kathmandu in 7 Days Lhasa / Gyantse / Shigatse / EBC / Kathmandu Travel from Lhasa to Kathmandu via Everest Base Camp adventure tour includes featured historic sites and natural beauty in Tibet. Taking a ‘heart beating’ walk at the Everest Base Camp, gazing at the mysterious north face of mighty Mt. Everest, watching the snowcapped majestic Himalayan mountain range passing by, you will feel the power of the nature and your spirit will be cleansing. That’s the meaning of travelling in Tibet! 7 Daysfrom: $950
- Mout Kailash Pilgrimage in 15 Days Lhasa/Gyantse/Shigatse/EBC/Lake Monasarovar/Kailash Mt. Kailash is the most sacred place in Tibet, every year, many people make a pilgrimage here, they believe circumambulating it will bring good fortune. This group tour covers all the must seeing places and scenic spots in Tibet, which is very similar to our 8 Days’ Mt. Everest tour, but it drives further to the wild northern part. Join this spiritual tour to follow the pilgrim to experience a different Tibet! 15 Daysfrom: $1850