This tour includes all of the best sights, sounds, and smells Tibet has to offer. The expedition to the great Mt. Everest, one of earth’s most remote corners, could also give you a chance to view the sunrise and sunset there. You can do nothing but feel marvel for the nature’s masterpiece.
Day 1 Arrive in Lhasa [3658m]
You will be greeted by your Tibetan guide once you arrive in Lhasa Gonggar airport or train station. From airport to Lhasa city is 68km, around one hour and half drive will take you to the holy city Lhasa; from the train station it is only 15km and takes 20 minutes by drive. Afternoon, have a good rest to acclimatize the high altitude. Overnight in Lhasa.
Day 2 Tour of Lhasa
Today is your first day of sightseeing on the high plateau, so we have purposely arranged only to visit Jokhang Temple and Potala Palace. Potala Palace is the worldwide known cardinal landmark of Tibet. The massive structure itself contains a small world within it. Mostly it is renowned as residence of the Dalai Lama lineages (Avalokiteshvara). Jokhang Temple is the most scared shrine in Tibet which was built in 7th century and located at the heart of old town in Lhasa. The circuit around the Jokhang called Barkhor Street is a good place to purchase souvenirs. Both of them are the focal points of pilgrims from entire Tibetan world, multitudinous pilgrims are circumambulating and prostrating in their strong faith. Afterwards stroll on the narrow streets of Lhasa old town to meet local people and visit their markets. Overnight in Lhasa.
Day 3 Tour of Lhasa
About 8km west of central Lhasa is the Drepung Monastery, once world's largest monastery with about 10,000 monks. This day's sightseeing begins with these white monastic buildings piled up on the hillside. Walking up to the hill is a pleasant thing, an easy break from the solemn ambience inside the halls and chapels. At the plat roof of hillside, you can have very good views of the whole Lhasa city and the distant mountains. Drepung is one of Lhasa's two great Gelugpa monasteries, the other is Sera Monastery. Around 5km north of central Lhasa, Sera may not be as grandiose as Drepung, but is more serene surrounded by many small temples. The 'Buddhism Scriptures Debating' in Sera is very famous. Overnight in Lhasa.
Day 4 Lhasa / Gyantse [3980m] / Shigatse [3840m], 360km, 6-7hrs drive
In the morning drive to Gyantse along the Kyichu River. On the Kamba La (4796 m) have a fantastic view of the holy Lake Yamdrok (4441 m), one of the four holy lakes in Tibet and the largest habitat of waterfowls in south Tibet. Then continue to Gyantse, you can enjoy Ningjinkangsang Snow Mountain and Karola Glacier from a distance on the way as well. Upon arrival in Gyantse, pay a visit to Palkhor Monastery and Kumbum Stupa, which is famous for its very unique architecture, sculpture, and mural painting art.
Day 5 Shigatse / Rongbuk Monastery [4900m] / E.B.C [5150m], 340km, 6-7hrs drive
Morning visit lively local market in Shigatse while your guide assist you process the PSB permit at local PSB office, afterwards start driving to Rongbuk via Lhatse and Shegar, cross over Gyatsola [5200m] & Gawu la pass [5250m], from the top of the Gawu la you will see the spectacular Himalayan Ranges and its glorious peaks viz Mt. Makalu [8463m], Mt. Lotse [8516m], Mt Everest [8844m], Mt. Cho Oyu [8201m] and Mt. Shishapama [8020m] from Left to right, climbing down through numbers of switchback bends lead to the dry valley of Tashi Zom and then to today's destination - Everest Base Camp. Rongbuk is the highest monastery in Tibet and is consisted by both monks and nuns, where is still a good point to see Mt. Everest. Sunset at Mt. Everest is another highlight of today if in good weather. Overnight at local tent guesthouse or Rongbuk guesthouse (dorm beds only).
Day 6 Rongbuk / Shigatse , 340km, 6-7 hrs drive
Get up early this morning, and if you are lucky enough, you will see sunrise at E.B.C. To hike from the Tent guesthouses community to the E.B.C, it will take you about 2 hours (6km). Or you can take the dedicated minibus (In winter season our driver will drive you up to Base Camp). Late morning or early afternoon start driving back to Shigatse. Overnight in Shigatse.
Day 7 Shigatse / Lhasa [3595m], 300km, 6hrs drive
Morning visit Shigatse Tashilunpo Monastery and the spectacular tombs of Panchen Lamas, sometimes it is crowded with local pilgrims. Afterwards drive back to Lhasa along the northern friendship way, marvelous landscapes and sceneries along the Brahmaputra River will accompany you all the way back to Lhasa. Overnight in Lhasa.
Day 8 Tour Ends
Meet your guide in the hotel lobby and take a last memorable look at the holy city before being transported to the airport/train station.
Includes & Excludes
- What's included in this price?
- Transport: Private minivan or minibus with driver
- Free Lhasa airport / train pick-up and drop-off
- Twin-sharing / double room accommodation in Tibet
- Local English-speaking Tibetan guide
- All entrance fees of sightseeing places mentioned in itinerary
- All necessary Tibet permits
- Government tax
- What's excluded in this price?
- Chinese Visa fee
- Tips for the guide and driver
- Flight or train tickets into and out of Lhasa
- Meals not included in the itinerary: Lunch and Dinner
- Personal expenses such as laundry, drinks, fax, telephone calls, etc
Why Choose Us
Each of our tours is intensively designed inclusive of the very best landmarks and attractions. All our tour groups max out at 12 people, so that every tourist’s needs can be considerably catered for. More reasons for why taking a Tibet tour with us? Check out below.
- Our Strengths
- Unbeatable Price & Great Service
- 100% Tibet Permit Guarantee
- English-speaking Tibetan Guide
- No Shopping & No Hidden Cost
- Free Cancellation
- Recommended on Tripadvisor
- Our Guest Reviews
Thank you for all your help organising our trip to Tibet.
We had a fantastic time, and thought that Dondrup was a superb guide – very knowledgeable and friendly, while Dawa was a great driver and always very helpful. Thank you again – we will be recommending you to our friends.
Recommend other popular Tibet tours
- North Everest Base Camp Tour in 8 Days Lhasa / Gyantse / Shigatse / EBC Most popular Everest Base Camp adventure tour begins in Lhasa with its historic architectural monuments and monasteries. This tour includes all of the best sights, sounds, and smells Tibet has to offer. The expedition to the great Mt. Everest, one of earth’s most remote corners, could also give you a chance to view the sunrise and sunset there. You can do nothing but feel marvel for the nature’s masterpiece. 8 Daysfrom: $800
- Overland Tour from Lhasa to Kathmandu in 7 Days Lhasa / Gyantse / Shigatse / EBC / Kathmandu Travel from Lhasa to Kathmandu via Everest Base Camp adventure tour includes featured historic sites and natural beauty in Tibet. Taking a ‘heart beating’ walk at the Everest Base Camp, gazing at the mysterious north face of mighty Mt. Everest, watching the snowcapped majestic Himalayan mountain range passing by, you will feel the power of the nature and your spirit will be cleansing. That’s the meaning of travelling in Tibet! 7 Daysfrom: $950
- Mout Kailash Pilgrimage in 15 Days Lhasa/Gyantse/Shigatse/EBC/Lake Monasarovar/Kailash Mt. Kailash is the most sacred place in Tibet, every year, many people make a pilgrimage here, they believe circumambulating it will bring good fortune. This group tour covers all the must seeing places and scenic spots in Tibet, which is very similar to our 8 Days’ Mt. Everest tour, but it drives further to the wild northern part. Join this spiritual tour to follow the pilgrim to experience a different Tibet! 15 Daysfrom: $1850