Nyingchi Peach Blossom Festival-22 March 2020Time: 2020-01-20 09:55:21
With only 9 weeks until the annually held Peach Blossom Festival is back again in Nyingchi in 2020, this year, the festival operating time is one week earlier than last year, which is confirmed as March 22, 2020. And the venue for opening ceremony is still in Gala Village, which is 17 km from Bayi Town, the city center of Nyingchi.
Gala Village in Nyingchi
The celebration events usually include singing and dancing performances of traditional Tibetan style, arrow shooting, and local specialty fair. But the spring scenery still has the honor to be the highlight in this period, with the flowers blooming along the river banks of the Yarlung Tsangpo, and the lofty snowy mountains as the backdrop
The other best way to experience Nyingchi is to discover the daily life of the locals, such as witnessing how they make threads with traditional spinners, how the spring ploughing would be solemnly initiated, and how the livestock, the companion animals live uncaged with people in beautiful harmony. Short and easy hiking get you opportunity to search for your own secret base to have a quality time with yourself or your travel fellows.
The average altitude in Nyingchi is 3, 000 meters, 1, 000 meters lower than the average level of the whole Tibet region, making Nyingchi a less-riskier place to have acute mountain sickness.
Where is Nyingchi: Nyingchi is in the Southwest Tibet, 406 km east of Lhasa by road distance, with the local airport, Nyingchi Mainling Airport (LZY) 50 km from the Downtown Nyingchi.
View of Nyingchi in Tibet
Profile and uniqueness of the wild peach tree in Nyingchi
Nyingchi peach is a species endemic to Tibet region, which belongs to Prunus of Rosaceae in plant taxonomy. The scientific name is Amygdalus mira (Koehne) Yu et Lu; And the alternative name is Tibetan peach, or fondly known as wild peach. In Tibetan, the name sounds like Kangbu.
It is mainly found in Nyingchi, Shannan, Shigatse, and Chamdo in Tibet. March to April is the blooming period and August to September is the fruiting season.
The lifespan of a Tibetan peach can be thousand years old. The traits of ancient trees can still be detected in this species, which is highly valued by botanists.
The trees are much taller and bigger, in comparison with other peach tree species in Middle China and East China. Their flowers have whitish pink colors and grow intimately close to each other, while those in inland China are with deeper colors and more separately scattered on the branches. Besides, the fruit is bitterer and the kernel is smoother.
Nyingchi Peach Blossom Festival
Tips on Nyingchi travel in March and April
We’ve all come to the stage when we were longing to visit a fascinating destination, but the popularity and the seemingly overlarge tourist volume would hold us back. It would be such a shame to miss out a great place and a great vacation. Therefore, finding an off-the-beaten place in that intriguing destination would be such a relief. Or if only we could find the perfect window for visiting the very same place when the attractions remain at its beautiful and the huge tourist troops withdraw.
To tackle this, check the tips as follows:
1.If you’re visiting during the peak time (around March 2), you’re suggested to seek some less popular yet still beautiful places to enjoy the flowers. That means Gala Village, Suosong Village are not the best options to go. You can travel a little farther to Bomi County or Lang County.
2.The one week before March 22 and the one week after April 5 are the best time to elude the crowds. Because the flower festival hasn’t come yet and most domestic travelers go back to work after the ending of Qingming Festival, a national holiday that is usually from April 3 to April 5.
3.The time order of Nyingch peach flowers coming into blossom in different regions
1)Lang County (Southwest Nyingchi)
2)Bayi District (in the vicinity of city area of Nyingchi)
3)Bomi County (East of Nyingchi, on the National Road G318)
4)Mainling County (South Nyingchi)
5)Gongbu Jiangda County (West Nyingchi, on the road connecting Lhasa and Nyingchi)
Accommodation and transportation: Bayi Town, the Downtown Nyingchi, is where there are most options of hotels which are authorized to receive foreign travelers. Chengdu, Chongqing and Xi’an are the three cities with direct flights to Nyingchi.
Nearby attractions worth a visit
Mountains and Forests: Lulang Forest; Mount Namcha Barwa
Lakes and Rivers: Nyang River (Niyang River); Yarlung Tsangpo Great Canyon (the world’s deepest canyon); Basum Tso Lake (Basum Lake)
Nyingchi Railway Station will be open in October 2021
The whole construction project of Nyingchi Railway Station was expected to be completed and open in October 2021, the China Tibet News reported on December 31, 2019.
After the completion of the project, Nyingchi Railway Station will be Tibet’s third prefecture-level railway station providing passenger and freight service, after the regional capital Lhasa and the regional second largest city Shigatse.
- Butter Lamp Festival 2019 and the 600th Anniversary of the Parinirvana of Tsongkhapa On December 21, 2019, befell Tibet’s Butter Lamp Festival, which is held annually to commemorate the parinirvana of Tsongkhapa, on the Tibetan Lunar calendar’s October 25.
- Lhasa- Nyingchi highway to open by the end of July The high-grade highway between Lhasa and Nyingchi is expected to open by the end of July, 2015.
- Tibet Airlines to open two new air routes Tibet Airlines will begin operating two new air routes linking Lhasa with Shenzhen and Changsha in China.
- Everest Base Camp to Reopen Mt Everest Base Camp in Tibet will reopen to tourists on July 1st, according to local tourism authorities.
- Top 10 news stories in Tibet in 2014 2014 is over, this news is about the 10 top stories happened this year.
Recommend other popular Tibet tours
- North Everest Base Camp Tour in 8 Days Lhasa / Gyantse / Shigatse / EBC Most popular Everest Base Camp adventure tour begins in Lhasa with its historic architectural monuments and monasteries. This tour includes all of the best sights, sounds, and smells Tibet has to offer. The expedition to the great Mt. Everest, one of earth’s most remote corners, could also give you a chance to view the sunrise and sunset there. You can do nothing but feel marvel for the nature’s masterpiece. 8 Daysfrom: $800
- Overland Tour from Lhasa to Kathmandu in 7 Days Lhasa / Gyantse / Shigatse / EBC / Kathmandu Travel from Lhasa to Kathmandu via Everest Base Camp adventure tour includes featured historic sites and natural beauty in Tibet. Taking a ‘heart beating’ walk at the Everest Base Camp, gazing at the mysterious north face of mighty Mt. Everest, watching the snowcapped majestic Himalayan mountain range passing by, you will feel the power of the nature and your spirit will be cleansing. That’s the meaning of travelling in Tibet! 7 Daysfrom: $950
- Mout Kailash Pilgrimage in 15 Days Lhasa/Gyantse/Shigatse/EBC/Lake Monasarovar/Kailash Mt. Kailash is the most sacred place in Tibet, every year, many people make a pilgrimage here, they believe circumambulating it will bring good fortune. This group tour covers all the must seeing places and scenic spots in Tibet, which is very similar to our 8 Days’ Mt. Everest tour, but it drives further to the wild northern part. Join this spiritual tour to follow the pilgrim to experience a different Tibet! 15 Daysfrom: $1850