Nyingchi Railway Station will be open in October 2021Time: 2020-01-13 11:10:56
The whole construction project of Nyingchi Railway Station was expected to be completed and open in October 2021, the China Tibet News reported on December 31, 2019.
After the completion of the project, Nyingchi Railway Station will be Tibet’s third prefecture-level railway station providing passenger and freight service, after the regional capital Lhasa and the regional second largest city Shigatse.
Currently, public transport and air transport are the only two ways to travel to Nyingchi, both of which are impacted greatly by the particular climate conditions in this region, which frequently leading to road block and grounded planes. Railway line will benefit the region with its higher transportation stability and larger transportation capability.
What’s more, Nyingchi Railway Station will serve as an important hub of China’s Southwest, as the important terminal station on the Sichuan-Tibet Railway line, connecting Lhasa and Nyingchi in Tibet, and also providing a link between Nyingchi and Ya’an(a city in West Sichuan Province).
The reporter of China Tibet News witnessed that more than 100 workers were working on an 8.25-meter-tall framework set on the roof of the waiting hall of the Nyingchi Railway Station on the day. Parts of the bilateral underground structure had seen the completion of construction.
The site selection of Nyingchi Railway Station is in Zire Village, Bayi District, which is at a 19 km distance from the governmental seat of Nyingchi, the Bayi Town. And the station is only 30 km away from the Nyingchi Mainling Airport.
The total design construction area of the station is 15,000 sq. km. It includes two floors and one ground floor for underground passenger passage, space for fire-hydrant, fire pump and water pool. The main body of the buildings chooses framework made of steel and concrete. And the surface of the main hall uses the steel frame structure.
According to Mr. Wang Zhuopei, the deputy head of the Security and Quality Department at Tibet Railway Construction Co. Ltd, by the end of December 2019, the railroad subgrade construction of the Lhasa-Nyingchi section had been finished. The remaining unfinished work includes the attachment facilities of the railbeds and the greenery projects.
84.7 km bridge project had been finished by the end of 2019, which equates 98.22% of the designed entity, with 1.5057 km expansion left. There are 44 tunnels construction done, the length of which is 213.48 km, an equivalent of 98.62% of whole amount. And there remains only 3 unfinished, that indicated a line of 2,982 meters. The building coverage finished was around 140,400 sq. m, that indicated 64.43% had been tackled, with only 70,750 sq. m. to be done.
Background of Sichuan-Tibet Railway
Sichuan-Tibet Railway is an ongoing construction project, which is designed to run express trains connecting Sichuan Province and Tibet Autonomous Region. The total length of Sichuan-Tibet Railway is 1,838 kilometers. The design speed is 160 to 200 km/hr.
This west-east railway line consists of three sections: Lhasa-Nyingchi Section, Ya’an-Nyingchi Section and Chengdu-Ya’an Section. In December 2014, both the Lhasa-Nyingchi Section and the Chengdu-Ya’an Section, started the building of the railways; while the Ya’an-Nyingchi Section began the project construction from the late 2019.
Current Situation of the Construction and Operation of Sichuan-Tibet Railway
Now, among the three sections, only the Chengdu-Ya’an Section have been put into use, which was opened on December 28, 2018. Chengdu-Ya’an Section was built on flatter areas, crossing the Chengdu Plains in Sichuan Basin, regarded as the easier project on this line.
On December 1, 2019, Lhasa-Nyingchi Section has seen the completion of the track laying reaching to the bridge over Yarlung Tsangpo River in Rong Village of Shannan City, TAR.
Sichuan-Tibet Railway will become another main line railway in China’s Southwest, enable the foreign visitors from Nepal and India to enter the inland China with another option in addition to flight and road trip; It will be the second railway into Tibet. The first one is the legendary Qinghai-Tibet Railway, starting from Xining and arriving at Lhasa.
- Nyingchi Peach Blossom Festival-22 March 2020 The Nyingchi Peach Blossom Festival this year is confirmed as March 22, 2020. And the venue for opening ceremony is still in Gala Village, which is 17 km from Bayi Town, the city center of Nyingchi.
- Butter Lamp Festival 2019 and the 600th Anniversary of the Parinirvana of Tsongkhapa On December 21, 2019, befell Tibet’s Butter Lamp Festival, which is held annually to commemorate the parinirvana of Tsongkhapa, on the Tibetan Lunar calendar’s October 25.
- Lhasa- Nyingchi highway to open by the end of July The high-grade highway between Lhasa and Nyingchi is expected to open by the end of July, 2015.
- Tibet Airlines to open two new air routes Tibet Airlines will begin operating two new air routes linking Lhasa with Shenzhen and Changsha in China.
- Everest Base Camp to Reopen Mt Everest Base Camp in Tibet will reopen to tourists on July 1st, according to local tourism authorities.
- Top 10 news stories in Tibet in 2014 2014 is over, this news is about the 10 top stories happened this year.
Recommend other popular Tibet tours
- North Everest Base Camp Tour in 8 Days Lhasa / Gyantse / Shigatse / EBC Most popular Everest Base Camp adventure tour begins in Lhasa with its historic architectural monuments and monasteries. This tour includes all of the best sights, sounds, and smells Tibet has to offer. The expedition to the great Mt. Everest, one of earth’s most remote corners, could also give you a chance to view the sunrise and sunset there. You can do nothing but feel marvel for the nature’s masterpiece. 8 Daysfrom: $800
- Overland Tour from Lhasa to Kathmandu in 7 Days Lhasa / Gyantse / Shigatse / EBC / Kathmandu Travel from Lhasa to Kathmandu via Everest Base Camp adventure tour includes featured historic sites and natural beauty in Tibet. Taking a ‘heart beating’ walk at the Everest Base Camp, gazing at the mysterious north face of mighty Mt. Everest, watching the snowcapped majestic Himalayan mountain range passing by, you will feel the power of the nature and your spirit will be cleansing. That’s the meaning of travelling in Tibet! 7 Daysfrom: $950
- Mout Kailash Pilgrimage in 15 Days Lhasa/Gyantse/Shigatse/EBC/Lake Monasarovar/Kailash Mt. Kailash is the most sacred place in Tibet, every year, many people make a pilgrimage here, they believe circumambulating it will bring good fortune. This group tour covers all the must seeing places and scenic spots in Tibet, which is very similar to our 8 Days’ Mt. Everest tour, but it drives further to the wild northern part. Join this spiritual tour to follow the pilgrim to experience a different Tibet! 15 Daysfrom: $1850